8 TIPS TO SECURE YOUR HOME DURING LOCKDOWN
1. Ensure that all of the locks to your doors and windows are functional and for an extra layer of safety, consider installing a deadbolt or smart locks.
2. Is your home exterior lighting working properly? Would-be burglars are more likely to avoid homes that have a security light that goes on whenever they approach the home.
3. Consider installing a DIY smart home alarm system. Not only do these systems protect your windows and doors but they also protect you from fire, water damage, and carbon monoxide poisoning, all of which can be managed via your mobile phone. As an added bonus, DIY kits are affordable security options and require a contract.
4. Home security cameras are a great option because they offer mobile apps that enable you to monitor your home in real-time from any remote location. And with features such as motion detection, night vision, two-way talk, weatherproof casings, your ability to always stay informed is greatly increased. If your budget permits, this is a great option for any homeowner.
5. Do your garage and shed have secure locks? Have you thought about adding in additional home security systems? Many of us keep valuable and personal items in our garages and sheds but don’t think to extend the home security cameras or our home security systems to cover them.
6. Never leave valuable items in view or unattended, whether on the patio or through a window. Find a safe location for your car keys, electronics, and other high value, and ensure they are kept out of sight.
7. Add a video doorbell. Smart doorbells are easy to install and will allow you to see visitors before answering your door.
8. Put your lighting on timed switches or smart plugs – vary the times they come on and from room to room, or switch them on/of using your smartphone app from wherever you are.
Everyone wants and deserves to feel secure within the confines of their homes and adding these small security measures will go a long way to helping ensure safety during a lockdown.