10 Most Dangerous Cities in Georgia
Based on the latest FBI crime stats for Georgia (2017), we put together a list of the most dangerous cities in Georgia.
You might be surprised by some of the cities on the list but remember that it’s based on a ratio of crimes per population, so the smaller cities can show a higher ranking than some of the larger cities.
Violent Crime & Property Crime
Some of these rank higher in violent crime than property crime (and vice versa) but all of these cities rank in the top 20 for both.
Average Georgia violent crime (murder/non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) as a percentage of population per city is 0.35%. The average property crime rate (burglary, larceny/theft, motor vehicle theft, arson) as a percentage of the population for the state is 3.1%.
Be safe out there – no matter where you are!
- East Point. This city is at the top of our list because it has a very high property crime rate of 11.6% (3rd highest in the state) and is ranked #2 as the most violent in the state.
- College Park. Ranking 1st for violent crimes and 7th for property crime at 7.4%, College Park can be a very dangerous place.
- Helen. Helen probably shouldn’t be included in this list because of the extremely low population (just 547 residents). Any hint of crime makes the numbers soar. There were only 7 incidents of violent crime reported but as a percentage of population, its one of the highest on the list. Helen’s property crime rate was #1 for the state with 70 incidents, 12.8%.
- Union City. Union city ranked 4th in both categories, a sign of what can be a dangerous place.
- Hapeville. This city, close to the airport, ranks #2 in property crime at 11.7%.
- Quitman. One of the southernmost Georgia cities on the list, Quitman ranks high in both categories, but is also very low in population.
- Tifton. Residents are surprised Tifton is on the list again, but the stats show percentages in both categories well above average.
- Eastman. With almost a 10% property crime rate, Eastman earns a spot again this year.
- Baxley. One of the smaller cities, Baxley’s residents have a higher chance of experiencing crime than others.
- Albany. The most populated city of the group, Albany rounds out our top 10.
Rounding out the top 18:
Griffin, Rockmart, Alma, West Point, Remerton, Douglasville, Brunswick, & Forest Park.
Are you surprised about any on this list? Do you live in any of these cities? Stay safe…we can help.
Need something positive to chew on? Check out the 10 Safest Cities in GA here.
Source: FBI crime data, by city 2017, crime rates (offenses known to law enforcement) as a percentage of the population.
Protect Your Home and Family
Alarm Monitoring from $16.95/Mo.
Protect My Home
Get Started Today!