EMC Security Saved Our Home From Fire
View the video below featuring EMC Security customers that are thankful they installed monitored smoke detectors in their home. A few months ago, their home was quickly overcome with smoke and fire while they were just a few yards away, in the backyard. If it wasn’t for EMC Security, the damage and loss would’ve been much greater.
Adding smoke or heat detectors to your home security system may very well be the best decision you make when it comes to the safety and security of your loved ones.
And, your monthly monitoring cost doesn’t change when you add fire monitoring to your security system.
Most Common Causes of Home Fires
In 2019, fire departments in the U.S. responded to an estimated 361,500 home fires. These fires caused roughly 2,870 deaths and 12,700 reported injuries. Property damage was estimated at $7.9 billion.
Cooking equipment – #1 cause of fire injuries.
If you leave the kitchen—even for a brief period of time—turn off the stove. Wear short, close-fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Always keep children away from active cooking areas.
Smoking – #1 cause of deaths
Most smoking-related fires start inside the home, often originating from upholstered furniture, bedding, or mattresses. Always smoke outside, thoroughly extinguishing cigarettes in an ashtray when finished.
Portable space heaters
Portable space heaters, which cause more fires annually than central heating. Use space heaters only in well-ventilated spaces, and keep them at least three feet away from furniture, fabrics, draperies, and other combustible objects.
To prevent an accident, install a spark screen or glass door in front of the firebox to protect the surrounding area from stray sparks and rolled logs. Check chimneys annually to ensure that creosote hasn’t built up, and never leave a fire unattended.
Worn and damaged cords
Replace all worn or damaged cords right away, never overload extension cords or wall sockets, and don’t position cords under furniture or rugs.
Never position a lit candle near flammable items like bedsheets and books, which may become engulfed in flame if they come in contact with the tiny fire. As a safer alternative, homeowners can purchase flameless, battery-powered candles with LEDs.
Propane and gasoline
Gasoline, kerosene, and propane should be stored outside in their original containers. Kerosene and propane heaters, which have a constant open flame, should be kept in an isolated, well-ventilated area and used only with the proper type of fuel.
Position your grill or fire pit several feet from your house, safely away from trees, deck railings, and other structures. Routinely clean the grill, investigate signs of rust and corrosion, and check the gas connections.
Source: 2020 National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®)