What to do if You Hear Someone Breaking Into Your House
We all get shaken a little when the alarm is triggered – even if it’s a false alarm – right? But if it’s an actual break-in, and you’re there, it’s serious.
No matter what, don’t put yourself in danger. It’s a really bad idea to confront a burglar. You don’t know if they are armed or not
- Shh…BE QUIET! Don’t alert the intruder that you are in the house. At this point, the best plan
itto quietly find your phone so you can make some calls.
- If Your Alarm Panel is Nearby (assuming it wasn’t armed), Press the Panic Button. This will make the sirens to go off and will immediately alert the authorities that you need help. It could also scare the burglar off.
- Find a Way to Get Out of There. If you can escape safely, do it. Try and identify where the intruders are and then leave through a door or window as far away from them as possible.
- Lock Yourself in a Safe Room. If you can’t exit your home safely, then lock yourself in a room, barricade the door so that the burglar can’t enter even if they are able to unlock the door.
- Call the Police. If you don’t have a security system or can’t get to the panic button, make the call as soon as possible.
- Wait. Don’t leave the safe room until the police give the all-clear.
What If You Encounter the Burglar?
- Don’t be a Stupid-Hero. Let them take whatever they want as long as they leave you and your family alone. The sooner they get what they want, the sooner they’ll leave. Never try to stop a burglar from taking anything because you don’t want to trigger any violence.
- Don’t provoke them. This can be difficult when you are feeling violated. But don’t initiate physical violence to catch a burglar. Stay as far away from a burglar as possible. You should only fight back if you are attacked.
- Get a good look. As discreetly as possible, take mental notes of their physical features (height, build, hair, eye color, ethnicity, distinct markings) and mannerisms (accent, walking style) so you can provide the details to the police.
Knowing what to do during a home intrusion is vital to your safety and that of your family. By installing a home security system, you could avoid a frightening and potentially life-threatening situation. Contact EMC Security today for a quote and/or free home evaluation at 770.963.0305.