Home Security Beyond Burglaries: Protecting Your Home Against Non-Human Threats
Protecting your home from unexpected damage can be a challenge.
Even if you have homeowners insurance, there are many dangers that aren’t covered by standard policies. From flooding to carbon monoxide poisoning and fire damage, there are plenty of threats that could cause major problems if they were allowed to occur inside your house.
Fire is a serious threat to your home. It can spread quickly and cause extensive damage that is difficult to repair, especially if you don’t have insurance coverage for it.
Fire can be the result of electrical fires, or cooking accidents; most fires are caused by human error–typically leaving something on or near an open flame (like candles) unattended for too long.
To prevent fire in your home, start with the basics:
- Use timers when lighting candles
- Never leave burners unattended on stoves while cooking
- Check smoke detectors regularly and change batteries at least once per year (more often if they’re older than ten years)
- Install monitored smoke detectors and let EMC Security call for help when needed
- Turn off lights when leaving rooms
- Never store flammable liquids next to heat sources such as furnaces or water heaters
- Create a fire escape plan so that everyone knows how they’re getting out of the house
- Keep candles away from pets that can swing a tail and knock it off a table.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by faulty heating systems. It can cause flu-like symptoms, including nausea and headaches. In extreme cases it can be fatal. Carbon monoxide isn’t visible or smelled like other gases, so it can sneak up on you while you sleep.
You can pick up a carbon monoxide detector at a retail store or contact EMC Security for more details.
Water Damage and Flooding
Water damage is the most common causes of damage to homes, and it can happen for a variety of reasons. Heavy rain may cause flooding, but so can an older water heater or frozen pipes. Here in Georgia, forzen pipes cause alot of bust pipes. Everyone knows someone that this has happened to so it’s important to be prepared. EMC Security offers water bugs that are becoming more popular than ever. These little guys sit on the floor and send a signal to your security system if water is detected. Your keypad will beep to let you know you have a problem – preventing what could be costly damage.
We hope this article gave you a better understanding of the various threats to your home and family. Keep in mind that there are many things you can do to protect yourself.
Give EMC Security a call today at 770-963-0305 to discuss your needs and how we can build a system that protects you from all threats in your home.