Too Many False Alarms? We Can Help
There are many reasons why security system users have false alarms. For instance, a large proportion can be blamed on homeowners forgetting to disarm the system prior to letting the dog out or empty the trash. Another aspect could be entering the wrong passcode.
Some municipalities in Georgia have cracked down on false alarms, with fees. EMC Security has implemented EMC Text-Alert, a text notification service that gives you the opportunity to chat with your emergency contacts when your alarm is triggered and respond appropriately from your phone. We’ve seen a significant reduction in false alarms when customer use Text-Alert. IT’S FREE! Sign up here >>
More ways to reduce false alarms:
Before you activate your system:
- Lock all protected doors and windows.
- Educate family members on
alarmsystem and usage.
- Contact EMC Security if you have any concerns about the proper
- Notify EMC Security if you plan any renovating or remodeling your home.
- Educate family members on what to do if your alarm is accidentally triggered.
- Use the EMC Text Alert app to chat with your emergency contacts when your alarm is triggered and respond appropriately from your phone.
- First, don’t panic, there is time. Enter your disarm code (carefully) to reset your system. Remember, if there were a burglar, he or she would not know your code. Do not write it on your keypad.
- Call EMC Security at 1-888-745-4733 or wait for us to call you. Give your password — this is different from your disarm code.
Commercial False Alarm Prevention Guide
- Be sure all employees are thoroughly trained before attempting to use the alarm system. Hold monthly training sessions.
- Look for items that can move within the “view” of your motion detectors, causing false alarms fans, heaters, hanging signs, seasonal decorations, balloons, curtains, plants, etc.).
- Confirm that special consideration has been given to the installation of motion detectors in high traffic areas with overhead doors, large exhaust fans or ceiling vents which allow the entry of birds.
- Ensure all doors and windows are secure and locked before arming your system.
- Don’t change pass-codes without advising EMC Security.
- Train new users thoroughly, notifying EMC Security of new users.
- Service and maintain your system (including batteries) regularly before false alarms occur.
- Upgrade old alarm systems to current equipment conforming to Security Industry Association (SIA) false alarm prevention standards, further reducing false alarms.
Every municipality in Georgia has alarm registration requirements. Some have false alarm ordinances as well. Make sure you understand your ordinance and fee guidelines before installing a security system in your home or business.